The Art Monastery Project is proud to announce a network for Artmonks, Artmystics, and other Contemplative Creatives worldwide: the International Otherhood of Artmonks.
What does an Otherhood of Artmonks do? Among other things, it will:
- facilitate the creation of art monasteries around the world
- hold meditation and art-making retreats (see pictures below of the first Artmonk Retreat)
- network artmonks, artmystics, and other contemplative creatives
- provide a platform where different contemplative creative ways of life can emerge
- publish works on art, monasticism, etc.
- produce and commission enduring touring works of art and music
- produce podcasts and self-guided art-meditation retreats
- give back to the community with youth workshops and volunteer projects.
To kick it off, we recently held the very first Artmonk Retreat in Joshua Tree, CA. For 8 days, contemplative teachers Dr. Joel and Michelle Levey led a group of 15 artmonks through monastic practices of concentration meditation, reflective meditation, and mindfulness meditation.
Here are some pictures of our first artmonk retreat: