Join the Worktrader Team
for the Renovation Period in Vermont
September 5 – October 27
We are thrilled to be hosting our first “Renovation Period” at Art Monastery Vermont. We are looking both for volunteer skilled carpenters and builders (see our Call for Artmonk Builders), as well as additional hands to help in the kitchen and garden.
During these two months, we will finish three bedrooms in the oldest part of the house (which used to be a general store in the early 1800s), winterize our screened-in porch, and transform an unfinished basement space into a bedroom and an art studio.
In addition to all these awesome projects, we will
- practice meditation and chant together each morning,
- indulge in delicious meals from our garden & neighbors’ farms every day,
- yoga & movement classes,
- swim in the river,
- enjoy evening campfires,
- honor the full moon with ceremonies,
- gather for occasional artshares
- and luxuriate in the gorgeous New England Fall colors.
Worktrade tasks vary according to our needs and your skills. During the Renovation Period these tasks will likely center around kitchen/food-systems, garden/landscaping, and household tasks like cleaning. It is possible that you may have the opportunity to help in the areas of carpentry/renovation, sign-making, admin, graphic design, and hospitality.
We gladly offer
- space for your tent (We have some tents and tent platforms available on a first-come, first-served basis. When space allows, you are welcome to a shared bedroom in the house.);
- three lovingly prepared meals per day, endless snacks, coffee and alcohol;
- access to landline telephone and high-speed wifi.
Worktraders work 5 hours/day, 5.5 days/week.
You pitch in $20/night toward expenses.
Come for longer and save: $70/week
We are deeply grateful for your labor, heartfelt enthusiasm and good humor! Thank you for considering this gift of yourself to strengthen and expand the foundation of the Art Monastery. Your help makes the offerings of the Art Monastery available to more people.
We are committed to keeping the Art Monastery accessible to those who want to come. The Worktrade program is already subsidized (it costs us more than $70/week to have people here), but if this cash payment is a hardship for you, please let us know. We would love for you to be here if it is what your heart is calling for.
We look forward to welcoming you into being an active part of our loving community.