Registration for this program is closed. If you’d like to know about the next one, please subscribe to our newsletter.
Loom Ensemble, ensemble-in-residence at the Art Monastery, is looking for artists to join us to help create our 2019 show. We will be exploring body shame, self-destructive behavior and self-love. Performers will need to travel to our residency center in VT, and will be part of an intensive training, rehearsing, creating period. We are offering 3 Devising Intensives this fall. All performances and performance opportunities are still pending, though we plan to tour this work to Dubai and USA in 2019 — performers who are part of the creation process will be considered for the tours.
This is a particularly good fit for performers who are passionate about dance/theater training, are skilled in collaborative creation, interested in seeing what it’s like to be part of a rural company, living on an organic farm, sharing a communal lifestyle, and are curious about meditation.
Fall Devising Intensive Dates
- Thursday to Monday, October 4-8 (arrivals on Thursday, departures on Monday)
- Thursday to Monday, October 25-29
- Tuesday to Sunday, November 6-11
Why Come? What will we do?
- Daily dance-theater training with other committed performers
- Rehearse and develop new material together
- Do table work/have awesome, thoughtful conversations
- Practice mediation and sing every day
- Watch the leaves change color and swim in the river
- Live in community, share meals together (food from our huge garden!), drink wine by the fire
- Be on a creative retreat
- Get to know other kick-ass artists
- See our rad community (the Art Monastery) in Vermont, and imagine your life here… 🙂
- During these weekends we will maintain a daily schedule of training in the morning, rehearsals in the afternoon, and discussions in the evening.
- Come to one, come to all three, write us if you are interested but can only come for part of the time.
- All performances and performance opportunities are still pending, though we plan to tour this work to Dubai and USA in 2019.
At this stage, we are asking artist to:
- cover your own travel costs, but we’ll help organize carpools to make it as cheap as possible
- contribute $75/day to cover food+drink+housing (all provided at the Art Monastery, please let us know if you’re up for camping!)
***No one turned away for lack of funds. Let us know if these costs are prohibitive to you, and we’ll see what we can come up with together.***
Since 2012, Loom Ensemble has been developing and touring new work in USA, Europe, and Dubai.
–“Say I Am You” development started in 2012, premiered Dubai in 2013, and made it to NYC at The Wild Project in 2014
–“Prime” was developed at the Art Monastery Project in Italy, hit Dubai in 2014 and toured NYC, CO, Italy, Sweden, Belgium, Germany.
–“Bootstraps” started in Colorado, premiered Dubai in 2016, and has toured NYC, VT, MA, and NC. Repeat performances in NC are schedule for this August.
–“Fading Brightness” development started at the Art Monastery Project in 2017, premiered in Dubai in 2018, and US performances are coming soon.
–Devising Intensives begin this summer for the next project…
Please email the following to LoomEnsemble@gmail.com:
- Statement of interest. 1-2 paragraphs giving us some context about your background and interest in collaboratively devising ensemble-based music, dance and theater.
- Headshot + resume
- Website / reel / work samples